The vibes get better west of Robertson Blvd and north of Pico Blvd.
From AreaVibes.com for 90035:
Pico-Robertson is ranked #25 in Los Angeles
Pico-Robertson is ranked #402 in California
Lots of Local Amenities
Stable Housing Market
Low Crime Rates
The population density in Pico-Robertson is 51% higher than Los Angeles.
The median age in Pico-Robertson is 9% higher than Los Angeles.
In Pico-Robertson 56.38% of the population is Caucasian.
In Pico-Robertson 20.41% of the population is African American.
In Pico-Robertson 7.94% of the population is Asian.
Cost of LivingF
Things To Do In Pico-Robertson
The Getty CenterAttractions » Historic Landmarks1200 Getty Center Dr, 90049 The Getty Center in Los Angeles is funded by a trust granted by billionaire oil tycoon, J. Paul Getty. The center is home to serene gardens, visiting art exhibitions from European collections, and the Research Library located inside the Getty Research Institute. Visitors may attend free concerts, film expos, art galleries, and enjoy sweeping views over the city of Los Angeles. The Getty Center in Los Angeles is located at 1200 Getty Center Drive. Visitors must access through the main gate on N. Sepulveda Boulevard and general admission is always free. The Getty Center parking fee is $15. In addition, guests may utilize public transportation to this attraction via the L.A. Metro Rapid Line 781 which provides a convenient stop at The Getty Center’s main gate. The Getty Center is opened 10:00 a.m.ï¿½5:30 p.m on Tuesdays through Sundays and is closed on most major holidays.
Yup, Rabbi Elias has “retired”, and was given a warm welcome upon returning to Beth Jacob, the shul where he grew up. I heard that the cantor of the Ashkenazi minyan was also let go. But the Mogen David website http://www.mogen-david.org/ has not been updated.
They [Mogen David] never really have distinguished themselves from YICC or Beth Jacob, the two shuls most similar in practice to MD’s Ashkenazi minyan. A lot of the regulars are guys who used to go to YICC or BJ, and either live closer to MD or are old buddies with Rabbi Elias (or their wives are).
One unsung hero of Mogen David’s Ashkenazi minyan is their Torah reader, Aaron Breitbart. Aaron is about as self-deprecating a fellow as you’d ever meet, with a great sense of humor backed up by an academic’s intellect.
I asked friends and they responded:
* The closest thing that comes to mind, that not everyone knows about, is Global Kindness (Nouriel & Yael Cohen).
* How could I forget Beit Chayim Chadashim!!!
The shul with the most closets.
* Pico Shul?
The 3-4 minyanim at the 770 building
The Chassidisha minyan on Pico and Crest
The Shuls with over 300 ppl are not “hidden”
Benny’s minyan maybe
The downstairs minyan at BethAm
Harvey Weinstein’s casting couch
Rabbi Shoff’s shul near crescent heights
* There are reportedly a couple of minyanim that are more “equal” that take place at Workmans Circle. Contact them. One is called “The Shtiebel Minyan”.
Knesset Israel on Robertson Blvd (The Soro area) is the oldest shul in the area – and has Rabbi Jason Weiner who is a gem and was just elected head of the Board of Rabbis of So Calif. He is the up-and-coming superstar of the PicoRob Rabbinate. They reportedly have the best bourbon in town at the Kiddush. The memorial plaques on the walls go back to the late 1800’s.
Chabad of Beverlywood also on So Robertson has by far the best equipped children’s playground in the area. A big hug from Rabbi Dov is a free benefit to those men who attend.
Around 7:15 this evening, as I was driving east on Olympic Blvd just passed Beverly Drive, I was repeatedly cut off and endangered by the reckless driving of half a dozen minibuses carrying the logo TheMoneyTeam.com. I saw several of them run red lights, including at the intersection of Olympic and Doheny (by Beth Jacob and Hillel day school).
Post: Last September, my boyfriend and I found a middle aged mentally unstable woman sleeping on our front porch multiple times. We called the cops a dozen times in a month but they weren’t able to do anything because our building didn’t have the appropriate signage to arrest her for trespassing (even though she used our door as a restroom and would use very violent language when she was found). In speaking with neighbors on Wooster, I found out that she has been found in dozens of other buildings in the neighborhood and even attempted to assault a landlord. He got a restraining order against her and she eventually went to jail. Sadly she was released recently and her elderly mother (a resident of Wooster near Whitworth) has taken her in once again. Her name is Reyna Woodruff, she is 65 years old, 5’4″, 100 lbs, dark hair with gray streaks. She is a repeat offender with many charges, even an unrelated felony. She is not someone we want roaming around in the neighborhood. It’s clear she is most likely mentally unstable and gets confused easily but she can get aggressive and angry. I wasn’t able to get a proper picture of her while she was yelling at me this evening as we found her again in our garage, using it as a restroom. We told her this was not her property and she yelled but eventually went away. When we first encountered her last year, we tried to help her but she would yell at us. Normally I would feel badly for someone in her situation but it makes me feel unsafe to know that she is back, and the police are unable to do anything about it. If you see her, stay away and stay safe. If anyone has any advice about how to properly handle this, we would love to know.
Post: House rental scam here at 8917 Cattaraugus Avenue
Description of person involved – Other details: The house at 8917 Cattaraugus Avenue sold a few weeks ago after sitting in Escrow for awhile. The tenants are long gone and Dan May was the agent who sold it. This afternoon an asian woman with a thick accent pulled up in a nice new car and looked at the house, then asked me about “the rental.” She had contacted someone from an ad for a cheap rental property ($1000/month), was told the rental cost was First and Last Month Rent, and $500 cleaning deposit ($2500). She was told not to bother the current tenants because they are still living there. She said she was ready to send them the money. I told her to go to the Police. My wife left a message with Dan May on his service. There is a largish sign on the bay window on the front of the house that says NOT FOR RENT!! IT’S A SCAM … I don’t know what else to do. Anybody?
Post: I live on Bedford Street. My apartment was broken in and I was robbed last night. If anyone who lives in the area…saw or heard anything suspicious near my building please contact me. I believe it was a 2 person job, one helped the other break into my bedroom window. In the alley way. It was a quick robbery.
I called Police.
Posts: * Paul Koretz’s office was instrumental in having an illegal hostel on San Vicente in the middle of Carthay Circle closed down. Because of neighborhood activism it seems to have only taken a few weeks.
* The address was 6207 San Vicente. The house was being rented by two women who then turned it into a hostel, advertising on numerous sites including air bnb and hosting up to 30 people per night in the 3 bed 2 bath single family home.
* Just last night, I was standing outside of Starbucks at the crossroads of Fairfax/Olympic/San Vicente and a young lady dragging a large suitcase asked me if I knew where the hostel at 6207 San Vicente was located. She had either a British or Australian accent. I told her I wasn’t aware of any hostels being located in the immediate vicinity but good luck finding it. She was very young and seemed really nice. If anything, I feel somewhat bad for the those kids, I guess. Coming from foreign countries on holiday and to get caught up in this shady illegal scheme.
* There are hostels in areas zoned for that. With parking. And enough bathrooms. These 30-35 guests were told to park on Del Valle at night. Del Valle has parking on one side of the street, 44 houses, 40 parking spaces in front of houses. My daughter saw a couple having sex in their car at 8:30am just around the corner from the hostel, which is how I got involved and mentioned it to my neighbors, who had more stories. Children walk to school that way. Another neighbor saw a couple having sex in the tiny park at the corner one evening. I guess 8 beds to a room was less romantic than our block. Used condoms and weed implements appeared. Thirty-five people living in a three bedroom home makes it a flop house. These are not homeless people. These are travelers wooed by ads. It was a lucrative profit making business, not a shelter.Over 500 non-vetted individual stayed there in a six month period. Some could have been sex offenders that were temporary guests so they wouldn’t need to register…visiting two blocks from an elementary school.
All roads nearby are congested for more than a mile away.
Apparently, before 6pm, a car hit a motorcyclist and it resulted in a fatality. Cops were directing traffic through the intersection.
Posts: * Some of you may be aware that many of the new construction sites in this neighborhood are owned and being developed by orthodox Jewish land owners. Some of them may even be first timers. They are sure to honor Shabbat (Friday from sundown until Saturday at Sundown), but they think absolutely nothing of paying their construction workers to work all day Saturday, not even taking into consideration how the disruption and unbearable noise impacts everyone else around those construction sites including other Orthodox Jews who, they themselves, look forward to a peaceful and quiet Shabbat. Does anyone see the hypocrisy in this beside me? Does anyone realize how dishonest this makes the developers?
* The problem is the developers are not doing better. Many of the contractors they work with hire the most unskilled laborers at the cheapest wages they can get away with. I have witnessed 3 residential construction projects erect on my block alone and the quality of the construction is shoddy to say the least. They use the cheapest labor possible, the cheapest, low quality building supplies, and cut as many corners as possible to avoid spending money. And the majority of people who rent the units in these new, so called delux apartments, are young singles with multiple roommates because most families and single hard working folks cannot afford the rents which, on average, are 3000.00 to 4500.00 plus per month. The only way most people can afford any of the new housing is to have at least a 6 figure income. The fairly new town home style building next door to us has never rented to a family, only singles with 2-3 roommates. The rents are over 4500 per month.
* Involvement is paramount in voicing our concerns. Over the years I have attended some of these meetings but the problem is, for the most part, not enough people attend. Also, the area I am located in has a very high concentration of Orthodox Jews. Most are very nice and are good neighbors, but they do not usually get politically involved, unless it has something to do with Israel. It’s unfortunate. The other problem also is that these meetings are usually during the day and I can’t take time off work to attend. My husband and I are very politically active and truly believe in being able to exercise our right to express ourselves and our opinions. I wish more people would do the same.